What Is A Custom Domain?
Whenever you publish a Smart PDF with Beacon, our website address is included in the URL. It looks like this:
This is the default setting but it might confuse some of your readers. They'll probably see that and think "Huh? What's a Beacon?! I don't know these guys!"
Don't worry, we won't get offended but it's probably a good idea for you to clear up any confusion sooner rather than later so you don't risk the trust of your audience.
Thankfully you can do that with our custom domain feature. Once you set that up you can use your own web address. It would look something like this:
If you are on either the Beacon Professional Plan or Agency Plan you can make the web versions of your lead magnets available at a domain name of your choosing.
Configuring Your Custom Domain
In order to configure this setting you must first access your domain registrar account and add a CNAME record. Here's how to do it:
1. Sign in to your domain registrar account (e.g. godaddy.com etc).
2. Find the page for editing your domain's DNS records. The page might be called something like DNS Management, Name Server Management, or Advanced Settings.
3. * Add a CNAME record for your custom domain. Here is an example for an imaginary domain called yourwebsite.com:
Record Type: CNAME
4. Save and wait for the new record to take effect, which can take up to 72 hours to propagate across the whole internet.
Your Custom Domain will now be: ebooks.yourwebsite.com.
* Note: For CloudFlare users
If you are using CloudFlare the step 3 is different different. The destination should be
beacon.by rather than customdomains.beacon.by
Also, ensure the Proxied setting is enabled as shown below:
Finally, ensure you are using Full SSL encryption:
* End of Note: For CloudFlare users
Next you must add this custom domain to your Beacon account. You can do this by visiting the Custom Domain Section of the settings page:
Next, add in the custom domain that you set up earlier:
Finally, click save. It may take up to 72 hours for the changes to take full effect.
Please note you will still access your Beacon account via the main login panel at beacon.by/login
Multiple Custom Domain Names
Accounts on the Beacon Agency plan will have the option to add more than one custom domain.
After you add the first custom domain, a new link will appear with the option to add more domains:
When you click that link you can enter the domain details:
When you next publish a lead magnet you will be able to choose which custom domain you want to use: